Monday, February 28, 2005

The Making Of A 9/11 Republican

Interesting op/ed by a California liberal born and bred, turned 9/11 Republican. My upbringing wasn't as liberal as hers, but I really related to this:

Thoroughly disgusted by the behavior of those on the left, I began to look elsewhere for support. To my astonishment, I found that the only voices that seemed to me to be intellectually and morally honest were on the right. Suddenly, I was listening to conservative talk-show hosts on the radio and reading conservative columnists, and they were making sense. When I actually met conservatives, I discovered that they did not at all embody the stereotypes with which I'd been inculcated as a liberal.

Although my initial agreement with voices on the right centered on the war on terrorism, I began to find myself in concurrence with other aspects of conservative political philosophy as well. Smaller government, traditional societal structures, respect and reverence for life, the importance of family, personal responsibility, national unity over identity politics and the benefits of living in a meritocracy all became important to me. In truth, it turns out I was already conservative on many of these subjects but had never been willing to admit as much.

In my case, it was less a matter of realizing how "right" I am than of realizing how "left" the left is. (via LGF)

1 comment:

Robert Niffenegger said...

Hey, great choice for a post. I used this same article as the subject of a post. I wish more people in politics would look at what they stand for with more logic and reason like this person did. Sometime people just go with what their party tells them.
PS Check out my Blog