Tuesday, April 29, 2008

America's Most Overrated Product:

the Bachelor's Degree.
Among high-school students who graduated in the bottom 40 percent of their classes, and whose first institutions were four-year colleges, two-thirds had not earned diplomas eight and a half years later... Yet four-year colleges admit and take money from hundreds of thousands of such students each year!

...[E]ven those who do manage to graduate too rarely end up in careers that require a college education. So it's not surprising that when you hop into a cab or walk into a restaurant, you're likely to meet workers who spent years and their family's life savings on college, only to end up with a job they could have done as a high-school dropout.


I tend to agree. I didn't need my degree for any job that I held after college, although it would have helped me advance in a few of them. Luckily, I went to the University of Kansas back when it was still a great deal, so I didn't have a lot of debt, but I could have been working all those years.

No comments: