Monday, October 06, 2008

Become One With The Lesson

So we started studying the rain forest yesterday. We read that a poison dart frog carries its tadpoles on its back up a tree and deposits each in its own bromeliad. Instantly, Mia wanted to be a tree frog. She asked my to make a tadpole from construction paper and tape it to her back. Then she went out in the yard and climbed a tree. I tried to reel her back in, but either she forgot everything she's learned about math in the past 6 weeks, or I failed to recapture her attention. School canceled due to total lack of focus.

Then today, I broke out the funtastic frogs and the balance to attempt something fun, yet math related. Well, about one minute in, she wanted to be the balance. I worked with this by having her hold an item in each hand and guess which was heavier. Then she placed the items on the real balance to check.

No comments: