Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fool me once....

Not being mathematically inclined at all, I took Earth Science in college.  This was a lab course for the liberal  arts types.  In this course, circa 1988,  I learned many interesting "facts."  For example, I learned that the planet was going to run out of fossil fuel..... by the year 2000.  I also learned about the coming population explosion. People would be dying in the streets of starvation... by the year 2000.  And the graph that demonstrated the population explosion was, naturally, a hockey stick.

Being a credulous youth of 18, I was horrified. But, life intervened and I soon forgot the coming apocalypse, only to remember it 20-something years later, when confronted with the new coming apocalypse.  Hey!  Whatever happened to those old coming apocalypses?  

"Shut up," they explained.



No comments: