Tuesday, August 23, 2005

School Starts Tomorrow

I guess that's why I haven't been blogging. I've been keeping up with other blogs, but my extra brain power is thinking about Mia. She'll graduate from the great preschool program she's in this year. She's slated to go to kindergarten at our less-than-reputable local elementary school. I doubt that will happen. So, I've tracked down the local Montessori schools with elementary programs and will check those out in the fall.

We also have to decide whether to chase around to more doctors trying to find a diagnosis. I just discovered the term "hyperlexia". It's sometimes applied to kids who begin to read precociously and spontaneously (no mom with flashcards) yet have a language disorder and some autistic behaviors, but not enough to be diagnosis with autism. 90% of these kids are boys, but other that, it sounds like Mia. Of course, little of the great diagnosis chase is covered by insurance, so the pursuit is expensive. On the other hand, a diagnosis could be helpful in dealing with the school district. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: