Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Two America's of John Edwards

Apparently, there are two Americas: The America that would give John Edwards a standing ovation and the America that would laugh him out of the room. I belong to the latter.

Here's what happened after Edwards said he would tell Americans to give up their SUV's:
Edwards was asked during his appearance how he explained the contradiction of asking Americans to sacrifice while he’s living in a 28,000-square-foot mansion.

He said he came from nothing, worked hard all his life, has always supported workers and fought big corporations as a lawyer.

“I have no apologies whatsoever for what I’ve done with my life,” he said to loud cheers.

Well, la de da. Edwards always pulls out this "I worked hard and can do whatever I like with the fruits of my labor" argument. Great. I agree. But apparently he is the only American who came from nothing and gets to do whatever he wants with no apologies. It's the rest of us that owe him an apology for only being successful enough to buy one or two cars, not successful enough to have a car for every occasion, or, as I'm sure Edwards does, hire out all hauling and landscaping and moving that needs to be done.

We use our truck all the time and have a hard time seeing how people get by without one. I have my tiny, fuel efficient Jetta, but once the new baby arrives, it will no longer qualify as a family car since, with the rear-facing car seat, there will not be enough room for an adult in the front passenger seat. But when you let the servants deal with the children, I guess you don't have to take such things into consideration.

Update: Allah's got more, including this lovely quote:
Campaign spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield said the Edwardses, who have two small
children, use the Pacifica when they need more than two seat belts in the back, and the truck when they need to move furniture or haul something.

Edwards has good reasons. You? All you've got are lame excuses.

No comments: