Friday, February 10, 2006

Here Comes Kindergarten

I've really struggled with where to place Mia for kindergarten. I visited a Montessori school awhile back and fell in love with it. I think the multi-age classrooms would be great for her because of her very uneven development thus far. They go up to the 6th grade, so she could do her own thing for 7 years. I really like that they don't give grades. I would like Mia to pursue her interests without worrying about her GPA.

The only problem is they don't have a half-day kindergarten. I really wanted that, but apparently, it's hopelessly old-fashioned. Very few places seem to offer it.

I arranged to take Mia there today, so she could meet the director and look around. All the way there she whined "I don't want to go to the new school." Well, I promised her Burger King if she didn't cry while we were in there. She was a little shy at first, but by the time we had seen all the classrooms and were on our way out the door, she said to the director "This is a very nice school you have here." I asked her if she wanted to go to that school and she said "Yes." You'd have to know Mia (middle name: NO) to see how amazing that is.

No comments: