Monday, April 10, 2006

"No Weapons"

Is this a nation-wide phenomena? Ever since Missouri passed a concealed carry law, public places (restaurants, etc.) have been putting little paper signs in their window the say "No Weapons." It is their right under the new law to ban weapons from their establishments, yet the signs always make me smile. Surely, no one with criminal intent would dare to walk past that little sign.

But now I have a reason to be annoyed by them. My 4-year-old read the sign at the public library and asked what it meant. I stupidly told her that it meant no one could bring a gun into the library. Well, apparently all she heard was "gun", because now she's afraid to go into the library.

I don't know where she developed a fear of guns. Finding Nemo was too scary for her, so you know she never watches anything violent on TV. I finally coaxed her in, but we had to stop for a long philosophical discussion at each sign (they have two). Sigh.

No comments: