Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Neither Fish Nor Fowl

So, am I a democrat or a republican? Good question. I voted for Dukakis (I was 18, what can I say), Clinton twice and Gore. But this time I'm voting for Bush. So, I could be a 9/11 democrat, just voting for Bush out of fear of terrorism. Or I could have unknowingly become a republican at some point.

I'm reading If It's Not Close They Can't Cheat by Hugh Hewitt. He writes about how difficult it is for most people to change their party identification. He says it's like switching from Ford to Chevy. Not impossible, but not easy either. Here's a quote:

Voters who have great amounts of compassion and who are Democrats have a hard time pulling the Republican lever, At a psychological level, they see it as voting against the poor.


That is so true. I mean, who would want to vote for the mean people? I think 9/11 had everthing to do with why I am willing to reevaluate all those ingrained political habits. More Hugh:

The shock of 9/11 and the choices of the Democrats have made in its aftermath have put many people's party affiliation up for grabs. Longtime Democrats have looked up from the ashes of lower Manhattan and concluded that they have changed.
That is why I think Bush will win. I can't believe I'm the only Gore voter who feels this way.



1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow, thanks for commenting on my two-day old blog. I hope you are right about not going back to treating terrorism as a police matter instead of a military matter. But I disagree about Iraq not wanting democracy. They are already holding local elections there and returning many candidates favoring secular democracy and very few favoring theocracy or baathist dictatorship.

I'm not ready to call myself a Republican just yet. If Liberman or another Blue Dog had been nominated, I'd be voting for him. If I'm still voting Republican in 8 years, I'll make the switch.