Wednesday, September 22, 2004

What passes for excitement in my life

So the other day I sent an e-mail to Jonah Goldberg, my favorite writer at The National Review , and he posted it in The Corner. I was unreasonably excited.

I just told him that I thought it was a bad idea for the dems to constantly harp on Bush's National Guard service because I, as a Gore voter, had not realized he even flew fighter planes. Let's face it. The Democrats' line on Bush is that he was a classic underachiever in his youth, partying and goofing around until he turned 40. Now how does being a fighter pilot fit into that picture? I'm no expert, but I'd say you couldn't do that while nursing a hang-over. That he flew fighter planes for four years instead of the six years he signed up for doesnt' really bother me. The Vietnam war was over and the military was drawing down its forces.

And, by the way, it was 30 frickin' years ago! You've got four years of his performance as Commander-in-Chief to look at. You may not like how he's done, but you don't have to guess. You don't have to comb his early life for clues. The last four years should tell you all you need to know.

No comments: