Sunday, January 30, 2005

Courage

A quote from Jeff Jarvis' extensive coverage of the Iraqi election:
This morning, I asked myself whether I would go to vote if I thought I could be bombed at the polling place or shot because of my blue finger. I don't think I'd have that courage. Most Americans would not (hell, most of us don't vote even in the lap of safety). Remember that every single Iraqi who came to vote today is a victory for democracy.
Amen. It's over for the fascists. High voter turnout in the face of an all-out assault on voters is a blue-stained finger in the eye of the "insurgency". Their terrorism failed to terrorize. They're losers.

As George Will said on This Week this morning, the Iraqis used to have two unappealing options: support the fascists who wanted to bring back brutal dictatorship (with plenty of severed heads and scattered body-parts to sweeten the deal) or support the American occupation. Now they have a third option: their own democratically elected government.

They faced down those fascist bastards today. I have no doubt they will continue to do so.

No comments: