Sunday, May 22, 2005

Bipartisan whining

A few days ago I was watching Molly Ivins on Now (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and she was going on about how Republicans have raised whining about how oppressed they are to an art form. Now we could talk about how she has oversimplified or conflated the terms "conservative" and "Republican" etc, but I suppose she has a point. It does look a little silly to talk about discrimination when you're party has the Presidency and both Houses of Congress.

But, I thought to myself, the Republicans certainly haven't cornered the market on victimhood. In fact, one could argue that they are merely taking a page out of the Left's book.

Then today, as if to prove my point, Instapundit has this quote from this NYTimes article. Here's the part that cracked me up:


For a certain segment of the population, Nascar's raid on American culture -- its logo festoons everything from cellphones to honey jars to post office walls to panties; race coverage, it can seem, has bumped everything else off television; and, most piercingly, Nascar dads now get to pick our presidents -- triggers the kind of fearful trembling the citizens of Gaul felt as the Huns came thundering over the hills.


Pleeeese. What segment of society feels this way? Paranoid Drama Queens for a WalMart-Free America? I happily admit to being one of those people that doesn't get auto racing, even though I live in Missouri, about 45 minutes from a Nascar speedway. Yet I manage quite easily to remain oblivious to all things Nascar. I'm sure Blue Staters have an even easier time of it.

So don't buy the Nascar honey if it offends you so much. And how many channels do you people with cable have? 80? 100? 200? "It's just impossible to find good Blue-State programming anymore, Muffy". It's as if they are shocked that there could be a marketing program that isn't aimed at them. If these people do exist, they win the whining competition hands down.

No comments: