Monday, July 04, 2005

The Fourth of July

God, how I loathe it. I know that's not very patriotic of me, but combine a kid with a fear of loud noises, a yapppy dog with a similar fear, a lite-sleeping mommy and half-a-dozen ill-supervised teenagers setting off bottle-rockets at 3:30 in the morning and the whole thing loses its shine. Maybe I'll post some inspiring ode to the Declaration of Independence after a nap. But I doubt it.

Update: Wow. I had no idea our neighborhood was this trashy. We've always been at my mom's in the country on the Fourth, but this year she's on vacation so we're home. The fire department was just here because of all the smoke. It's like we've been tear-gassed. My eyes are stinging. Luckily, Mia is handling it well, as long as we don't leave the house. She wouldn't even go out to see the fire engines.

Update II: And then the police descended on the neighborhood and peace was, for the most part, restored.

No comments: