Friday, July 22, 2005

Wolf Brigade

I just saw a report on ABC News about how Abul Waleed, commander of The Wolf Brigade, Iraq's elite police commandos, is like a celebrity in Iraq ever since the brigade got its own TV show, "Terrorists in the Grip of Justice." I hunted all over ABC's site and can't find it, but I did find this article on the Wolf Brigade in the Billings Gazette:

While the nation's fledgling police and armed forces are derided as corrupt or incompetent, the Wolf Brigade is the exception. Their logo is a snarling wolf, and their TV show, "Terrorists in the Grip of Justice," is the most watched program in the country. Harassed parents silence noisy children with threats to call the Wolves. Housewives swoon over their "broad shoulders" and "toughness."

"Every time I see them in the street, I feel safe," said Ahmed Kanan, 25, who works at a menswear shop in Baghdad. "I feel that we have a country with a government."

No comments: