Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It's Not Just Me

Trying to keep up with the NSA spying story is frustrating. No one can be pinned down on what exactly we are talking about (except Bush, and everyone ignores him). Does anyone know any actual facts about this program? No, as it turns out:

From a press conference today:

QUESTION: I don't think I've heard any Democrats say that, though this program, in your view appears to be unconstitutional, maybe unlawful, why not say, Halt it now, and come to Congress and ask for the changes, but halt it now? I've not heard any Democrat say: Stop the program.

DURBIN: Well, I have to say, candidly, there are very few members of Congress who know exactly what this program's all about. Other than press descriptions, we don't honestly know what is being done in the name of this program.

I feel better, in that it's not just me. No one knows what's going on. I feel worse, in that elected official are calling for Bush's impeachment over a program they know nothing about. That's just sad.

Update: Upon reflection, it's a good thing that we don't know much. Given that this is a secret national security program, I'm glad no one knows what's what.

No comments: